Well, today is the day. Forty years ago today at 9:16am ET, I was born. My name was supposed to be Kimberly, but at the last minute, my dad wanted my name to be Laura. Ann is my middle name. I want to say my middle name was after my Aunt Annie (my grandmother's sister), but I'm not sure. I'll have to ask mom about that.
Today, I want to reflect back on some memories from the past 40 years. Trust me, there is so much more I could type up, but I don't want to turn this into a novel. Enjoy, and if there is a memory you have with me from the past 40 years, please let me know ... I would love to remember that time with you.
Here are some of my treasured memories ...
- Swimming in my neighbor’s pool (with Brian and Melissa) – playing Marco Polo
- Cheesequake Beach with my grandparents
- Watching Grease 2 (I think EVERY DAY one summer) with my cousin Jen … remember Cool Rider
- Playing jump rope in the school playground with my St. James School friends (grades K-3)
- Playing Mastermind for hours with my grandmother … miss her so
- Riding Chips “big wheels” with my brother at our house in Cliffwood Beach, NJ
- Moving to the “country” in third grade and leaving all my school friends behind … going from a Catholic school to a public school (BIG change for me) … leaving behind Michelle, Dena, Rebecca, Siobhan, Amy, and many others
- First friends in public school … Yvette, Suzanne, Kara
- Two boys fighting in the bathroom over who was going to date me in the fifth grade
- Being a cheerleader for the basketball teams in the seventh and eighth grade
- Fishing with my dad
- Driving my mom crazy with all the so-called a cappella singing I did when at home … favorite was “Don’t Cry for Me Argentina"
- School dances and dancing to 1999 … gosh that seemed so far away then
- Boyfriends … first true love – junior year of HS
- Almost getting killed in the car with Bridgette, Suzanne, Tracy when Bridgette’s jeep died in the middle of the road and a car was coming straight at us
- Going to two proms one day after the other
- Katherine Gibbs School – so many friendships made
- Trip to my aunt and uncle’s house in Florida for Thanksgiving one year … went to my first ice-hockey game and tried roller-blading when there. Also got introduced to the music group “The Cranberries,” and I still listen to their music.
- Thanksgiving one year in Arizona with my cousin Jen – went to Vegas and the Grand Canyon.
- Being on a plane, and when ready to land, was told the landing gear wasn’t coming down … almost had to do an emergency landing in Phoenix, AZ.
- Being a bridesmaid in friends’ weddings
- Disney World with Suzanne in 1995
- FanFair in Nashville, Tennessee ... best time ever in 1999
- Raritan Valley Community College and the College of Saint Elizabeth … more friendships made
- Almost drowning while in Bermuda … damn wave breaks
- Becoming an Aunt … then a Godmother
- Concerts I’ve been too … Sha-Na-Na; Chicago; Debbie Gibson; Whitney Houston; Tiffany; Garth Brooks; Tim McGraw with Faith Hill; Kenny Chesney; Laura Brannigan; Doobie Brothers; Brooks & Dunn; Reba McEntire; Bee Gees; Barry Manilow; Collin Raye; Lonestar; Martina McBride; Diamond Rio
- Broadway Musicals
- Moving out of my parents’ home to a place of my own (BEST year of my life)
- Buying a condo … then buying a house a few years later
- Becoming a wife … then a mom to two beautiful children
- Moving out of NJ to Ohio
These two are my BIGGEST accomplishments over the last ten years … my life would not be complete without them.
I've taken trips to …
Disney World, Key West, Las Vegas, The Grand Canyon, Bermuda, Aruba, Canada, Switzerland, France, Italy, and 19 or so US states
My jobs …
- NY Video from 14 years old thru my first corporate job in 1992
- Foster Wheeler – 1992-1996
- AT&T – 1996-2005
- ACS/Xerox – 2005-2013
- Pepperl+Fuchs – Current
Family and friends that I’ve lost over the years … will always remain close to my heart.
- My grandparents; aunts and uncles, especially my Aunt Ann and my Aunt Janice
- Friends who died way too young … Mike, Andy, Tom, Tim, Sharon
I want to say thank you to everyone who has been a part of my first 40 years of life. You have in some way helped me shape my life and make me the person that I am today. It doesn’t matter if we met for only five minutes … you made an impact on my life, and I THANK YOU.
Here’s hoping these next 40 years go slow and are just as good as the first 40.